Friday, April 23, 2010

Avatar isn't done breaking records ...

Source: The Hollywood Repoter

Happy Earth Day. To celebrate why don't we all just go out and buy 1.5 million Blu-ray copies of Avatar? Okay!

That must have been the conversation hundreds of thousands of people had in the past few hours because Avatar just broke the record (Previously held by the Dark Knight with 600,000 copies) for most first day sales in the history of Blu-ray.

While it is understandable that the film would sell well I, at least, am surprised at the sheer volume. This is a 2-D release of a film that is best experienced in its 3-D format, otherwise it is nothing more than colorful, albeit pretty, cliches without the revolutionary camera work. I will probably be getting my hands on a copy in the near future but I think I will wait a few months for the already announced ultimate edition to hit the shelves.

Regardless of the success the creators wanted to use the release to spread a message of ecology. All over the world today there are ceremonies aimed at promoting a healthy Earth, they even planted a tree in the Fox lot. So good on James Cameron and company I guess. I am anxious to see the sales trends in the coming weeks, will you be buying Avatar? Or have you already ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see? No?! Then fire back!
We can still be friends ... maybe ...